Emergency Management Coordinator
Salary starting at $28.03/hr
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Emergency Services Director, this individual performs duties to include preparing and updating emergency preparedness plans, assist with training Emergency Services personnel, assist with public education, and responding to emergency and potentially emergency situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to emergency scenes when necessary.
- Performs storm watch duties to include monitoring weather radar and severe weather notifications to alert the public and agency partners.
- Prepares and maintains records of meetings, exercises, and incident reports, to comply with local, state, and federal reporting requirements.
- Is the Program Manager for the Cowley County Exercise program to test identified functions of the LEOP.
- Assists in emergency planning.
- Assures that outdoor emergency sirens are operational.
- Assists with public relations and educational programs.
- Assists with training and directing volunteers.
- Assists other emergency response departments and agencies as needed.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining agency equipment, deployable assets, and vehicles.
- Attends local, state, and federal meetings, conferences, and trainings as needed.
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Experience: Public safety and/or emergency services experience desired, but not required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills between six months to one year in the position.
Education: Associate degree required, bachelor’s degree preferred. Must be able to obtain and/or maintain certification as a Kansas Certified Emergency Manager (KCEM) within twenty-four (24) months of employment. Continuing education is required to maintain the KCEM certification.
Skills: Good written and oral communications skills. Knowledge of emergency management operations and procedures. Ability to proficiently operate communications equipment including but not limited to telephone, email, and two-way radio. Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public and other emergency service professionals and to communicate effectively and clearly, both orally and in writing; the ability to access, input and retrieve information from the computer. Strong analytical, documentation and organizational skills. Proficient in using a computer and software applications to include word processing, spreadsheets, and databases. Knowledge of Kansas Division of Emergency Management and the Federal Emergency Management Agency rules and regulations and related local, state, and federal laws. Must have, or be able to obtain, a Kansas driver’s license.
Supervision: Work performance is reviewed by the Director. In disaster or crisis situations the employee may be tasked to operate with a minimum of supervisory input and utilize good independent judgment.
Working Conditions: Adverse working conditions exist relating to emergency management functions. Hazardous, strenuous, and danger situations may arise while dealing with emergency management situations. Adverse weather conditions are a factor in this position. Hours of work may vary and must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary and an on-call status may be required from time to time.
Physical Requirements: Ability to maintain physical requirements and conditioning to deal with the hazardous, strenuous, and dangerous activities that may arise during situations or incidents involving emergency management activities. To perform the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and/or hear. The employee must have the ability to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, or crouch, drive a car and to lift and/or move a minimum of fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to talk and hear in person by telephone and two-way radio.